Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pro Bars

A few weeks ago Cycle Guy and I participated in the Fat Cyclists 100 Miles of Nowhere. It was a huge success for Fatty and cancer research by raising money for the LAF (Lance Armstrong Foundation).

CG rode 100 miles on the trainer and I rode a Metric Century which ends up being about 63 miles on the trainer. We watched the first season of "24". He liked the show. I didn't like it a whole lot but it was something to distract from the ride.

We were given a schwag of great stuff for participating. Schwag: the bag given to a cyclist in a race or organized ride filled with things to use that day as well as cool stuff to prove you did it. Fatty posted the list of stuff here.

One of the items was a PRO BAR. I am not a big fan of energy bars. I eat them. (I eat anything, but we won't go there right now.) Yes, I eat them but I rarely enjoy them. Some of them are so chewy that you need any energy you get from them just to revive your jaw after all that chewing. Some are so full of protein powder and wheat germ that you have to drink an entire water bottle in order to continue your ride.

Not Pro Bars. Happy Days are here again. This energy bar was not only edible, it was delicious. The one we got in the schwag was Banana Bread. It tasted just like the real thing. Only better, it had nuts and chocolate chips and yumminess too. (sometimes banana bread flavored stuff just tastes like banana bread flavored stuff. I think if I had stuck this in the microwave and put on a blind fold I may have believed that I was eating fresh banana bread.)

These things are high in good carbs and good fats. I get hungry when I ride my bike and I really crave sweets. Especially chocolate. But I found by eating the Pro Bar I didn't have those cravings and I didn't think about food because what I just ate actually tasted like real food. And guess what? It is. Pro Bars are 70% raw whole food. Maybe that's why I don't spend the rest of the ride day dreaming about chocolate and Twinkies.

I recommend you try a Pro Bar. Great taste, great recovery and they say it can even help with weight loss!

2 comments:

Jules L. said...

Jenny, thanks for the love and kind words about PROBAR. Most importantly, thanks for enjoying the bars! What's your favorite flavor?

Cheers,

Jules L.
PROBAR LLC

everydayMOM said...

I'm with you on those other energy bars... The Pro Bars so good!

Congrats on finishing your metric century!