Thursday, April 23, 2009

If you give a Mom a minute...she might accomplish something

I like being a stay at home Mom. I think sometimes people are a little critical because my children are all in school and they wonder what I could possibly do to stay busy all day. Sometimes I wonder too. There are days when I get a lot done and other days when running kids to appointments is all I can do.

I always accomplish more when I work outside in the yard and I have some theories on that...
1. I really love it. (house work not so much)
2. No distractions.

Tell me if this scenario is at all familiar: While cleaning the kitchen this morning, I notice by its pungeant scent that the dishrag was more than due to join the ranks in the laundry where I see that there is almost a full load of towel type creatures ready to be washed so I start the washer, put said creatures in and make my way to the bathrooms of Whoville in search of more similar creatures to complete the load. On the way back to the laundry room with arms full , I notice a pile (or piles) of articles at the bottom of the stairs awaiting carriage to the upper realms of the kingdom to be put away. I lay the towels on the step and load up with new piles.

While placing individual piles in the rooms of individual Whoites, I catch a glimpse in the mirror in Fashionistas room and notice that my ponytail was knocked askew somewhere in my journeyings. So I head to the Master Bath to fix the ponytail and figure as long as I'm there I may as well put on some makeup, so I start putting on makeup and with one eye beautifully complete I notice a wash cloth hanging on the bathtub faucet and remember the laundry.

Grabbing the wash cloth I tear downstairs knowing full well that it's been too long but with the lid still open the wash cloth and load I left on the step can still be added because even though it has already been through one wash cycle, the washing machine is still filled with water because thank goodness, it doesn't spin or empty with the lid up (too bad toilets don't have that same refusal mechanism!) I add what I have gathered and start the wash cycle over.

That's when I notice that I hadn't finished cleaning up breakfast because of the original smelly rag, so I go back to the kitchen and begin once again to clean it up... when I see my reflection in the kichen window with only one eye. Oh yeah, I need to finish my makeup.

Heading back to the master bath to complete the beautification process, I notice my unmade bed and of course since it only takes a minute to make a king sized bed (two if you get out the slide rule) I stop to make the bed... when the phone rings. It's my long lost friend from Jr. High who recently found me on Face Book. In the course of the conversation she has some facebook questions so I hurry downstairs to the computer to find another friend ready to chat online. The three of us chat for a while making plans and sharing memories when I hear the garage door open and the teenagers coming in from school. Breakfast is still on the table, my bed is yet to be made, damp towels in the washer will be found tomorrow and I can't figure out why they are looking at me sideways.

I wonder why I get more done when I work outside...

14 comments:

Tanielle said...

Love this!!! Us women...we really are amazing, and busy!:-)

Have a great day!

Tanielle

Linda said...

I read this and could totally relate and I only have dogs! Very funny and true in my life too!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

haha this post made me smile. I go through this caotic routine everyday. I always seem to wonder that by the time Dan gets home from work why the house doesn't look much better. It is because I only seem to get all the projects started and not finished. Always jumping from one to the other. I am glad I am not the only one!

Dawn said...

There are more than color of eyes that can be inherited. That sounds so familiar. You work so hard all day, then look around and think 'I know I cleaned this house today!!'

Rogers said...

I'm not there, not yet anyway. But is it sad that I hope to be...one day?!?!

BTW, what's a slide rule???

Antique Mommy said...

This made me laugh. I can't remember the last time I got something done, inside or out.

Kim said...

This is how my days play out- EVERYDAY. Thanks for making me feel less like a chaotic crazy person.

Xazmin said...

Loved this post! My house is full of half done chores! This is so typical!

Thanks for making me smile!

everydayMOM said...

Funny, Jenny! And so true!!

Suzi said...

I agree, too many distractions inside. I accomplish much more in the great outdoors. I can so relate to this. I too am a SAHM and sometimes hubby looks at the house and the look on his face says it all....What have YOU been doing all day while I have been slaving away at work?

Carma Sez said...

I've concluded the older I get the more highly distracted I get. Very frustrating. And thanks for agreeing on the sappy kid tribute, because, yeah, that's how most things usually end up :D
carma

Justica said...

You are amazing! I love you! So true though! I don't know personally because I only did it for a few days. But all you try to do is clean and you go back and forth between things, then once the kids stomp through the door. It all goes out the window. lol

Pam said...

Visiting from SITS. Great post! I've been a mostly SAHM from almost 17 years (I do work parttime), and it's always amazing to me how busy I am. There is always "one more thing" to do.

RamblingMother said...

That is what my mom calls white washing walls and I do it all the time! Stopping by from SITS.