Tuesday, October 9, 2018

"I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents..."

If you have ever read the Book of Mormon you are likely familiar with those eight words written by Nephi in about 600 B.C.. They are the first words of chapter one.
Follow this link 1 Nephi 1 to read it yourself on lds.org the official website of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Lehi went to the Lord in prayer showing us how to pray. In verse 5 we see that he was praying in behalf of his people and then after seeing a glorious vision in which he sees both God the Father and His son Jesus Christ he teaches us even further by rejoicing in the grandeur of Almighty God. Do we sometimes forget how great and marvelous the Lord is, do we forget his power and goodness. To hear Lehi praising God and recognizing his glory is a good reminder for me when I pray.

In chapter 2 when Lehi is directed by the Lord to take his family and leave Jerusalem; he is obedient immediately and takes his family into the wilderness. They leave everything except what they can use on the journey. And Go. I hope that when the Lord asks me to do something I will not question and just go.

I have often tried to picture myself in this situation and I think, "sure, I would go." And then I find myself questioning or complaining about a calling or assignment I'm given in my ward or stake. If I think I will do the big hard things then I better show myself and God that I will do the small hard things.

The small things add up. Sister Kelly Ann Eyring wife of current president of BYUI recently spoke at a devotional there. She talked about a man who decided that he wouldn't only pick up the pennies and other change he found on the ground but he would keep an accounting of them. Over the course of several years, he had collected thousands of dollars found on the ground as lost change.

How many blessings will we recognize in our lives if we start writing down the times we respond to a prompting, fill an assignment or otherwise follow the guidance of the Lord willingly?

Nephi sought verification from God as he followed his father and received his own inspiration through the Holy Spirit. He wasn't questioning or doubting his father, he was seeking his own confirmation and because of his faith he was given what he sought.

I want to detour here for a minute and remember that it's important and even encouraged for us to receive our own confirmation of things we are asked to do by our leaders. There are two things I am certain of:
1. Our leaders are called of God and they can and do receive revelation and inspiration about the callings and assignments they ask us to fill.
2. We have the right and privilege to receive our own inspiration, revelation and confirmation about the callings and assignments we are given.

A few days into their journey, Lehi stops to build an alter and thank the Lord. Even in the midst of my trials I can stop and thank God, knowing that whatever it is I am going through, He will help me through it and make me stronger because of it.



No comments: